This coming weekend, we have teams going to PAX Prime in Seattle and DragonCon in Atlanta. The crew at PAX will be in our usual spot, the "corral" under the escalators. The DragonCon team will be working with Adventure Retail, as usual. I won't be at either one; I'm taking this Labor Day weekend off for a change. But if you're at one of those shows, come by and say howdy to the folks who are there!
As this posts, it's Monday morning and I'm probably on my way to the airport for a way-too-early flight back to Austin. Poor me, having to spend the entire time at Gen Con having fun with my friends.
Thank you to everyone who attended my panels! I hope y'all had a good time and maybe learned a few things, too.
The Munchkin Tavern was a huge success, once again, and I'd like to thank all the SJ Games staff who worked there, all the folks from Tavern on South who let us take over the joint, and of course all the fans who came in and made merry. I expect we'll be doing this again pretty soon.
Of course, the BIG news items from Gen Con were our announcements! In case you missed some of them, here's a summary:
- Katie Cook will be illustrating our first booster in 2015, Munchkin Love Shark Baby. Happy Valentine's Day!
- Next year's Munchkin core game will be Munchkin Steampunk. Steve wrote it, Devin's playtesting it, and Phil Foglio will be illustrating it for us. Expect it next summer.
- We're partnering with Atlas Games to create Munchkin Gloom. This will be a Gloom game using Munchkin monsters, designed by Gloom creator Keith Baker. Expect it next summer as well.
- Four lucky folks who had dinner with Fireside Games went home with advance copies of Munchkin Panic. I'm envious!
- Next spring, USAopoly will be following up Munchkin Adventure Time with Munchkin Adventure Time 2 -- It's a Dungeon Crawl! We're discussing next year's core set, but as of right now, we aren't quiiiiiite ready to make that announcement.
What's really scaring me is that we're already planning our big announcements for next Gen Con . . . leading into 2016 and the 15th anniversary of Munchkin. We have some epic plans in store, none of which I can tell you about right now. Ask me in a year!
We're counting on seeing many of you at Gen Con THIS WEEK! We'll have a limited number of early releases of many of our fall releases, including Revolution! Anarchy
I'm very excited about being an Industry Insider Guest of Honor, and I'm sitting on five panels with a bunch of really big names in gaming . . . let's hope I find something intelligent to say by the end of the convention! As a reminder, those panels are:
- Thursday, 1 p.m.- 2 p.m., ICC 211: Freelancing 101 (Andrew Hackard, Shane Hensley, Allen Varney)
- Friday, 3 p.m. – 4 p.m., ICC 211: Editing: When, Why, and How (Lillian Cohen-Moore, Andrew Hackard)
- Saturday, 11 a.m. – 12 noon, ICC 211: Fear of the Unknown: Suspense in RPGs (Keith Baker, Andrew Hackard, Shane Hensley, Ken Hite)
- Saturday, 3 p.m. – 4 p.m., ICC 211: Don't Screw It Up! (Andrew Hackard, Jay Little, Ryan Miller, Mike Selinker)
- Sunday, 11 a.m. – 12 noon, ICC 210: Remembering the Good Old Days (Andrew Hackard, Ken Hite, Jordan Wiseman)
Looking forward to seeing everyone!
It's hard to believe that it's been more than four years since we started producing small booster packs for Munchkin -- and it's hard to believe that it's only been four years, since they're such a natural, great addition to the line. Many of you have told us how much you enjoy the boosters, and commented that we're evil for giving you a reason to spend more money on impulse buys at the register in your Friendly Local Game Store. We agree with both sentiments, and we plan to keep doing boosters as long as y'all keep buying them.
(Please keep buying them.)
You can look at the booster page to see what's currently available. Some of them are on the cusp of going out of print, though, so don't delay if you see something you want!
Also, don't forget that the special booster promotional card offer expires at the end of this year. There's still time to get your card if you haven't!
Hello, loyal Munchkin fanatics! Team Munchkin is going to be at a couple of local conventions next weekend, and we'd love to see you at one of them if you're able to attend!
The REALLY local con is Board Game Bash, now in its fourth year of bringing board gaming to Austin. We've been part of BGB since it started, and we're happy to support them again this year!
We're also going to have a booth at San Antonio Comic Con, in beautiful downtown San Antonio (be sure to grab a margarita on the Riverwalk!). I'm going to be there Saturday to sign stuff and play some games -- San Antonio is my home town, so it's always nice to get back for a day or two! (And this show will be a good test for PAX South, coming up in January . . .)
Today, Phil Reed and I fly out to San Diego! Tomorrow, we'll be concocting evil plans with our collaborators at USAopoly (publishers of the imminent Munchkin Adventure Time!). Wednesday through Friday, we'll be in and around San Diego Comic-Con, meeting happy fans and having yet more evil planning sessions with People Who Cannot Be Named, before flying home Saturday. I expect to be spending some of my time at the Geek & Sundry space, of course, so come on by and say hello! (And there's a chance we might swing by Gam3rCon, too . . .)
If you carry around as much Munchkin as I do, you've certainly had the unpleasant experience of opening a backpack or cheap convention tote bag to find cards scattered all over and a half-open box sitting there. Mocking you.
Fortunately, that need never happen again!
* Sell, actually. But we really really want you to have one, so please buy!