If you're planning to attend Munchkin World NYC (and why wouldn't you!?) and you wanted to try for a spot in the Munchkin Invitational, signups are now open and will run through the morning of January 12.
(As a reminder, SJ Games offices are closed this week and next. There will be no Munchkin News next week. See you on January 5!)
May we recommend Munchkin Treasure Hunt? Good, because we are!
Our end-of-year game day is Thursday, December 18, and the absolute LAST day of shipping from Warehouse 23 is Friday, December 19 -- so I'd advise getting any last-minute holiday orders in early this week.
We are officially closed from end of business on December 19 until January 5. Email and phone responses are very likely to be delayed during this time.
Please have a safe and fun end of year, whatever you celebrate during this time.
There's one more news item that should post next week, and it's an important one, so keep your eyes on this space.
Devin Lewis, my intrepid Hireling, has been running Munchkin playtests now for over a year. I asked him to write up some thoughts on the subject. Here's Devin! --Andrew
-- Devin Lewis
We regret to announce that we will not be creating a 2015 Munchkin Silver Piece. Our analytics have shown that page views are trending downward, and the number of monthly hits compared with the number of coins we produce each year leads us to conclude that our marketing money would be better spent elsewhere.
The existing rules and coins are still usable, of course! The Munchkin Silver Piece rule archive has all the past rules listed; just use the one matching the year on your coin and the current month.
Lots of you have asked us to revisit Star Munchkin, and so we are!
We've been playtesting this around Austin for a month or so (thanks to all the playtesters for keeping this quiet!) and John's been working hard on the art for this 112-card expansion. With luck, we'll have real card mockups to show off at our spring conventions next year.
I had a blast going back to one of our first Munchkin games and playing in that sandbox again with another decade-plus of science fiction to draw from. I can't wait to find out what y'all think of the result!
We haven't done one of these in a while, and I thought y'all might like to know some of the things going on here at Munchkin HQ.
- If you missed the big announcement for Munchkin World NYC, you need to check the Daily Illuminator more often! We're working hard to get everything ready for our New York Munchkin fans next February. Be sure to check the DI and Munchkin News frequently for more updates as the event gets closer.
- A few weeks ago, Phil and I sat down and looked over the 2015-2016 Munchkin release schedule. "We're trying to do too much," we both said at the same time. "And we're competing with our partners at AEG, USAopoly, Fireside Games, and Atlas Games." So we cut WAY back on what we were planning -- back to what was an aggressive release schedule in 2009 or 2010 -- and have opened up more room to develop some new games. Y'all probably won't even notice that we've slowed down with all the other great things that are coming out next year!
- Visit your local game store in January to pick up our Valentine's Day booster, Munchkin Love Shark Baby. Katie Cook's art is ADORABLE!
In February, we're releasing Munchkin Kobolds Ate My Baby
, based on the RPG from 9th Level Games. John Kovalic not only illustrated this one, he designed the cards!
- Munchkin Steampunk keeps chugging along. It's out of playtest and we just got the last batch of awesome art from Phil Foglio! This is going to be a great-looking set, and we can't wait to show it to y'all.
- Munchkin Adventure Time 2 is also just about done: Steve and I have been working on our final comments for them and we expect it to go to print VERY soon. Just as with the original Munchkin Adventure Time, our pals at USAopoly hit this one out of the park! SLAMACOW!
- And we have one more announcement to make . . . but it's SO big that we're going to make it next week, rather than bury it at the bottom of this post. See you then!